Saturday, December 20, 2008

Living as a Finisher

I've been recovering from a running injury. I tweaked my knee in early fall, so I'm now in the process of regaining my form, feeling comfortable with my stride, and getting accustomed to the miles. It's not easy. But my greatest struggle doesn't happen at the beginning of the run. Starting out is no problem. It's near the end of a run that I struggle most. When I hit the final hill of my course today, I was physically and mentally beaten. My mind said, "Stop. It's time to walk. Take it easy. You've done enough."

As you get closer to Christmas, your mind may be crying out the same things: "You've worked hard enough. You've done plenty. It's time to lay back. It's time for YOU. Indulge. Moderate preparation will be fine. Take a break from focusing on integrity. Stop."

It's near the end of a spiritual journey that most struggles surface. You may be tempted to fizzle out just days before the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrations. You may be tempted to throw in the towel as you enter the second half or final quarter of your ministry. You may feel like you've put in your time as a believer and it's time for others to take over.

As the Apostle Paul entered the home stretch of his ministry and knew he would encounter ever more challenging trials, he summed up his focus this way, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace" (Acts 20:24).

Paul wasn't going to stop. It was crunch time and he was going to finish.

How did he do that? Was it because he was so well trained? Was it due to his high energy level? Was he one of those overachievers who is never behind in his e-mail?

Acts 20:28 gives the answer. Paul said, "Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers."

The key to living as a finisher? The Holy Spirit. Zechariah 4:6 says, "'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty."

In these days before Christmas you need the Spirit saturated Word of God more than ever. In the home stretches of life as a believer, you need the gifts of God in Word and Sacrament. YOU can't finish. But the Savior who died and rose again can finish for you. He is, after all, the finisher of your faith (Hebrews 12:2).

For inspiration, for staying power, for joy, for faithfulness, for new beginnings, for all you need to keep going, the Living Savior will bring you home. Living as a finisher means living in His Spirit and His grace.

2 comments:

ranchhand said...

Looks good Mike. I'm glad that you are back on track. If only you could run vicariously for me. I guess I'll have to lace 'em up. Thanks again.

Richard said...

Great words Mike thanks. I used to pride myself on never having DNF after my name on race results. That changed a couple of years ago when I had to drop out of a 'thon. Totally sucked to not finish. I'll never let that happen again. Helps me keep that kind of drive in ministry too.