Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rob Bell - Love Wins

Judging by initial reviews, I thought my first response would be to shout, "Heretic!" Or perhaps to start a book burning drive. Or maybe to call for excommunication, boycotts and protests--you know, the things Christians typically do to their own these days.

But after reading Rob Bell's new book, "Love Wins," a few different responses welled up in me:

- I could relate to Rob Bell's heartbreak as he wrestles with the extreme suffering and brokenness of precious lives in a chaotic, fouled up, and corrupted world. He hurts for hurting people and he hopes God hurts for hurting people, too.

- I was delighted to see how he emphasizes the expansive grace and love of Christ--love that surpasses knowledge. The love of Jesus always surprises us, always exceeds our expectations, always breaks through the barriers we set up around it. And, unfortunately, we do set up barriers around it.

- I could hear how Rob Bell is struggling with the rationalistic structures of Reformed theology. From decision theology to double predestination and from lists of faith requirements to rationalistic clichés, his reading and study of the Scriptures have pushed him beyond what he's been told, into the uncharted territory of the mysterious and beyond-rationalism God doing things His way.

- I was sad to see that Rob Bell, in some cases, tried to discover the mysteries of God by going beyond what the Bible reveals and teaches, holding on to some magisterial-reason-based Reformed tenets and bending some Biblical themes.

- It delighted me to read an honest dialog about some big eternal questions.

- In a creative way, I could see Rob Bell reaching out to people disillusioned with the church, doubting God's existence, and disgusted with the way Christians behave. He emphasized trust in God and the need for a Savior. He identified that Savior as Jesus and dismissed the inclination of humanity to be all about self.

Was this book perfect? No. Was it perfectly orthodox? No. Was it meant to be? I don't think it was. I think it was meant to stretch the thinking of Christians who are making a mess of Jesus' mission here and now. I think it was meant to help hurting and broken people take another shot at God. I think it was meant to help Rob Bell work through some major doctrinal questions. I think it was meant to get people talking and blogging about what is true and what really matters.

I think it worked.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt's message really blessed me - thought I'd share it. http://www.vimeo.com/22369493