Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Recalibration, Part 2

In his book, “In the Name of Jesus,” Henri Nouwen did some self-assessment as he entered the second half of his life and ministry. One area he highlighted was the tension between coasting and character development. Nouwen commented:

“Everyone was saying that I was doing really well, but something inside was telling me that my own success was putting my own soul in danger. I began to ask myself whether my lack of contemplative prayer, my loneliness, and my constantly changing involvement in what seemed most urgent were signs that the Spirit was gradually being suppressed” (p.10).

Sometimes what everyone says is completely inaccurate. Typically, “everyone” will let you coast. They will not insist on accountability. They will not sharpen you as a servant of God. They will not thoughtfully speak the truth to you with love. It is very difficult to get genuine feedback as you progress in years. If you accept what “everyone” says and coast easily down the path of no recalibration, you may end up in a place where the Spirit is being suppressed.

If you are caught up in the flow of hurried prayer, an isolated life, and constantly shifting urgency, you may need to pause and be attentive to Jesus’ words, “Come away with me to a quiet place and get some rest” (Mark 6:31). Is there margin in your life for stillness and authentic conversation with God? Do you have someone in your life who can speak hard truths to you? Are you growing into new and fresh learning from God’s Spirit or are you recycling the old standbys of your past?

Summer is a time to recalibrate. Your Savior leads you to paths of living water and soul restoration. Are you coasting or are you positioned for character development? What recalibration needs to happen in your life?

No comments: