Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Time For What You Love

Church Planting Series, Part twenty-one

The most common complaint I hear from people in ministry is: “I wish I had more time for what I love to do.” For some that’s planning for preaching and teaching. For others it’s strategic planning. Some want to free up more time for creating relationships. Still others want to be able to disciple people.

But for some reason these priorities get lost in the shuffle of an ever-moving, high-demand life and ministry. The constant flow of the “urgent” pushes away your constant desire to address the “important.”

I read recently that the typical worker spends 40% of his or her time on e-mail. Where is the time for dreaming, planning, and ordering your life? Will you find it in a typical seven-day week? Will sustained thought about your direction and priorities fit into a busy Tuesday or Wednesday?

It never did for me.

When I was pastoring a fledgling church plant, I had some time during the week, but I felt guilty for using that time for my own thought and planning instead of getting out there to create and sustain relationships. When the church grew in complexity and activity, time for thought and planning disappeared into staff meetings, trouble-shooting, and programmatic efforts.

That’s why I began a simple practice that totally transformed my approach to ministry. I started what I called “worship planning conferences.” Here’s an outline of how they looked:

1. Get away. Twice each year I, along with key leaders, loaded up our computers and planning materials and traveled about an hour and a half to a location where we could work and plan for two and a half days. We drove together so we could talk and prepare for our time away. At first we went to a hotel. Then we borrowed a kind person’s condo. But for Tuesday, Wednesday and half of Thursday in June and October, we changed venues to do some serious work and planning.

2. Work. We had a theme, goal, and plan for our time away. Once we got there, we began our work. The objectives were to plan every sermon series and worship service for the next 6-9 months and to discuss major needs, strategies and Spirit-led developments of ministry at the church.

3. Let God work. We did a lot of study and planning on our own, but we also brainstormed together, ate meals together, laughed together, and had a good time. Each of us also had quiet times to reflect and recharge. The days were long—from early morning to very late at night, but we were focusing on priorities and energized by being able to imagine. God built us together as a team and built Himself within us as we listened to Him.

What were the results of taking this time together?

1. We felt the satisfaction of being able to put first things first for God and His people.

2. We knew that we had a planned venue for serious study, conversation, and strategizing. Day to day demands didn’t get us down because we knew our planning time was coming.

3. We were able to provide worship plans in advance for staff and members. This showed respect for staff as we allowed them adequate time for planning and preparation. It also honored the people of the church by allowing us to publicize plans in advance. People used this information to reach out to others in an intentional and timely way.

4. We had time to do what we love. With much of the groundwork already completed, we were able to avoid the last-minute scramble of preparation. Time was available during the week to meet needs and to do what was truly important.

5. We gained a “big-picture” perspective of ministry. With a foundation of time to hear God’s voice and think about His direction, we were able to develop ministry, not just maintain it.

These two little annual retreats radically changed our ministry and attitude. We were no longer slaves to the moment. We were living in the freedom of doing what we loved.

If you need help or advice to start your own planning retreats, e-mail me at mnewman@txdistlcms.org.

2 comments:

Richard said...

I can relate to this problem well. It's always a struggle for me to put more intentional time into no tonly sermon prep, but to overall theological study. Time to just sit down and read can often times be quite ellusive for me. I feel it is important to do this as much as relating with people is. The pastor is the person people look to in theological issues. It's the area that I've got to be "up" on as much as possible. And yet spend little time on it....

I find the advice of the planning retreat helpful even if you don't have a staff to plan with. I enjoy it alone very much and find it greatly helpful.

Michael Newman said...

Very true, Richard. I actually started these retreats on my own. As staff grew, we started the practice together. God bless your ministry journey!